career path

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of neb2 neb2 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of gh56
    gh56
    Participant

Hello everyone, so this week lecture is about Clinical Research and we learn a lot about it, i personally do not see myself working on this the reason is because it doesn’t seem fun or i don’t think i will like it at all. has anyone ever considered clinical research as a career path? what make you want to follow this career path?

Profile photo of jnm22
    jnm22
    Participant

Lol that is funny. When I was in school I thought being a CRA was cool and a easy way to travel for free and work from home! I have a friend who is a CRA and now that she is older she hates it due to the constant travel. She has a job now that is focused in NJ so that’s better but it is still tiring. I think it all depends on the person. At work there are some people who work in clinical and they love it as it’s real data real science and there are others that hate the routine and strict regulation.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Profile photo of jnm22 jnm22.
    Profile photo of Luisa Gutierrez
    Luisa Gutierrez
    Participant

The clinical research path I know would not be something for me. But I do see it to be a good learning experience and provide a great base knowledge in regards to clinical studies and how the whole documentation process is handled per clinical trial participant. Also, it helps to understand at firsthand how the patients work with the device and what type of considerations should be considered during the design phase. And ultimately, this can help biomedical engineers gain some field experience that can be very useful when designing medical devices themselves.

Profile photo of Chris Vasquez
    Chris Vasquez
    Participant

I would really enjoy going into R&D, but not within the clinical research area. I feel that this aspect within industry is probably one of the toughest. I attached a link to a website that talks about the pros and cons for clinical research associates.
    https://uihc.org/pros-and-cons-clinical-research

Profile photo of mjf34
    mjf34
    Participant

I’m not sure if clinical research would be the path for me either. I have some experience in creating clinical trial material and I did not enjoy it. It was very tedious and the amount of paperwork involved was enough to make your head spin. The other thing to take into account is the huge liability involved with a clinical trial, which puts a lot of pressure on everyone involved because in some cases, there are lives at risk of loss and someone has to be held accountable for that loss.

Profile photo of tn58
    tn58
    Participant

Agreeing with everyone, I would add my experience with CROs. I had multiple interviews to work as a clinical associate or project associate with these organizations. And during the interview process and the tour of the facilities, I noticed that it required more paperwork, direct contact with clients but its not what you would find working as an engineer or directly with a project. And from my knowledge you don’t always get to see the full scope of the project. You might be given a small task or one part of a task and that is all you will do. You wouldn’t necessarily get to see the entire project form start to finish or be given full input to what the task you are doing has to do with the initial project.

My knowledge on this might be wrong but that is what learned or assumed during my interviews.

Profile photo of Viraj D
    Viraj D
    Participant

With my current experience working in the industry, taking part in clinical trials can be a very daunting task with quite a lot of paperwork. Finding a statistical significance can vary from 500 patients to even a couple thousand, so continually performing the same tests and procedures can get very repetitive. I would be more interested in working in research and development of a product or device. It would be exciting to see a product start from the initiating phase to the closing/transfer phase.

Profile photo of gh56
    gh56
    Participant

It seem that a lot of people here had agree with me that Clinical research wouldn’t take this career path, one thing that I do like was that CRA can travel for free and work for home that’s one of the good benefit but like jnm22 friend, after a period of time she got tired of traveling this seem for a person that lived alone, and don’t have to worry about their family. Which I believe is great for students coming out of school, which allow them to learn something new, as I mention before clinical research wouldn’t be for me not because of the travel it just for the work is needs to be done. I read Chris Vasquez pros and cons they were many thing I wasn’t aware of and it was actually good resource.

Profile photo of neb2
    neb2
    Participant

I do agree with the above posts up to a certain extent. Yes the testing portion of any trial can be very time consuming and daunting but accomplishing your goals is the most rewarding. Ideally in a R&D facility, engineers draft the protocols and plans and most of the time test technicians are the ones that execute the tests which really takes a huge load off the researchers. As far as clinical research that must deal with patients directly is where the researcher might be needed to go through the testing from beginning to end. If you are interested in the research portion, you can go into the R&D, product development side of the industry and not necessarily the clinical research sector.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.