Clear all

Experience in Quality Assurance and Quality Control

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@amandaally1029)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I understand that there are certain types of testing, depending on the company, for quality assurance and quality control. IF any of you had experience in quality assurance or quality control, what testing methods did you use for the company you worked for, and how would you describe your experience performing them?

Posted : 01/10/2017 2:16 pm
(@reshamn)
Trusted Member

I worked for a software company where part of my job was to test the upcoming applications and softwares that would be used by the financial tower of my client. There are many tools depending on the type of application involved. For an instance,you would test a java based application with testing the UI by having a login screen and running different kinds of JavaScript queries. There are unit test cases involved in any kind of code. These test cases debug each kind of method, property and instances and produces the result in the final user interface.

Posted : 03/10/2017 11:33 am
(@mark-abdelshahed)
Trusted Member

I'm currently working in a furniture company that does mechanical chairs and tables. We perform a lot of tests to insure the good quality of the products. Some of the tests are torsion testing to make sure that the material is hard enough to twist without breaking by applying the maximum force. Another test is the applied force test, which is applying the maximum force vertically and horizontally to the product, and even if it has mechanism that makes it moves up and down, which most of our products do, we make sure that the motion is smooth enough and at the same time goes to a certain limit and stops moving. Of course every step during the process of producing a new part has to be examined for quality, but usually the final tests are the torsion and the force applied. Then before shipping the part, it goes through a drop test for shipping to make sure the quality of the packaging is suitable to support and protect this specific part.

Posted : 04/10/2017 4:19 pm
(@gingeranderson)
Trusted Member

The most experience I have working with Quality Assurance and Quality Control is when we replaced a non-nuclear valve on the submarine. They perform a cleanliness test on the valve before installing it. It was just a simple test where right before you install it, you use water and just some paper to see if there is dirt. If there was a certain amount of dirt then it would be cleaned until it passed. If it passed then it would then be installed on the submarine. There was tons of paperwork to document this including signatures and time and date when the valve was tested. This was all connected to the document that installed the valve. I didn't perform the test. An official from the Quality Assurance and Quality Control department performed the test and I as the engineer on the job was just responsible for making sure the test was done and all the paperwork and procedures were correct.

Posted : 06/10/2017 3:39 pm
(@ppp23)
Eminent Member

Hi,

I had to control the QA and QC of our production unit. The QC had to perform following checks for each batch of blend that is being prepared.
1. After cleaning of Blender, perform cleaning test visually, enter the information in the log book.
2. While the blend is being prepared the QC makes sure correct amount of powder is added in the blender. QC approves the weight and signs in the log book.
3. After the blend is ready the QC weighs the entire blend and enters the information about the yield.
4. During capsulation process the QC has to make sure the weight of the capsule is within the range and sign the lob book.
5. After polishing the QC approves the batch by visually inspecting for any empty capsules are left behind and signs the log book.

The role of QC is very important to us as the decision of QC inspector makes sure that everything is in right place.

Posted : 07/10/2017 7:16 pm
(@alexandrabuga)
Estimable Member

I interned one summer at Pfizer in their Analytical Science and Technology lab for 10 -weeks researching the prediction of product quality attributes using NIR, FT-IR, and Raman spectroscopy. There were many protocols and SOPs to follow to ensure the integrity of the testing. From making sure the instrumentation was properly working and standardized to physically looking at the drugs being tested to see if differences could be detected-(color, size), and every aspect of the process and data had to be properly recorded in a lab notebook and needed to be signed/dated for each test. Overall, it was very interesting internship learning how big pharma performed quality testing on their drugs.

Posted : 08/10/2017 10:49 am
(@puneet)
Trusted Member

In my experience in QA, I performed manual and automated test cases both formally and informally. Informal testing was usually done before formal testing to see and issues or defects that arose - test cases were executed but evidence of successfully passing test cases weren't documented in informal testing. In formal testing most steps require evidence of passing required by the FDA. Formal testing also required documentation of all tools used and information of the person running the test case.
I have also performed "monkey" testing where as a tester I use the device/software and try to generate any issues as a user without a set test plan.

Posted : 08/10/2017 4:40 pm
 dfn3
(@dfn3)
Trusted Member

To add to this question I would like to know how the tests helped the project or company as a whole? What happened after you tested it? Did it fail or pass and what were the steps that happened after?

Posted : 05/10/2018 12:10 pm
(@rv395)
Eminent Member

When I worked as a QA Intern in a nutraceutical company, we tested a small amount of all the raw material samples for their strength and the presence of heavy metals, pesticides in them. The raw material were released for production only when the results were in a permissible range of values. That is the initial testing. Apart from that we documented every testing taking place throughout the process. We log in all the preliminary data in the batch records. We record the process right before start from visually inspecting the area and to further provide line clearance for the machinery.

Once the production is up and running, we test a small quantity to ensure the desired taste, consistency and smell is achieved. If it is satisfactory we start running the production of entire batch. We also test a sample batch of manufactured products to make sure the recommended dosage of individual raw material is available in the overall product. The results of which should match the already specified range. 

Posted : 30/09/2020 10:30 pm
(@vthampi)
Trusted Member

I worked as a quality assurance engineering intern in a medical device company this past summer. One of my projects involved the review of tests conducted to prove a particular device's compliance to the European Union Medical Device Regulations (EU MDR). A lot of these documents verified that the device conforms to the current standards and included tests such as tensile tests, wear testing, spectroscopy graphs for composition, etc. The work in general consists of a lot of proving that the devices we sell are exactly what we say they are and conform to the regulatory bodies' rules. These specific tests prove to the regulatory bodies that our company is compliant with their regulations. In my case, I reviewed all these documents and was able to pass along the approved documents to regulatory affairs, who needed to conduct their own review.

Posted : 03/10/2023 10:40 pm
Share: