138 Posts
133 Users
0 Likes
12 K Views
 Josh
(@orleron)
Trusted Member Admin
Topic starter

Well, you did it! You made it to the end of Medical Device Development. The original intent of this course was to teach you what professionals in the medical device field do in the real world if they are lucky enough to work in medical device development. I hope you have learned that and now have some idea of what is possible.

On the flip side, figuring out what you do not like is also good. Either way, you are one step closer to finding yourself.

Maybe what some of you got out of this is that you made the right decision to stay in academia, or that you want to go to pharma. That is also good. There are long and fulfilling careers in those areas too.

I am always happy to hear your impressions about this course. What did you like? What could improve?

In the meantime, connect with me on LinkedIn if you have not already.

If you are a student at a university, you may also be interested in rating me on ratemyprofessors.com, for good or ill.

For those of you who will be taking my other courses, I look forward to seeing you. For those of you moving on, I wish you well, and keep in touch.

If you want to recommend these courses to others, feel free.

Medical Device Development (this course)

Advanced Medical Device Development

Clinical Research for Medical Devices (already included in Advanced MDD)

European Medical Device Regulatory Basics (already included in Advanced MDD)

Spiral Medical Development
www.spiralmeddev.com

Posted : 29/10/2016 7:15 am
 cef3
(@cef3)

Well, Dr. Simon, when I first signed enrolled in this class, I was expecting it to be really more about medical devices and theory that goes into that. I was kind of caught of guard with how it is really more about how the medical device industry works. That being said, the class is very useful, even for someone like me who has seen some of these aspects working in pharma. I think the projects are very useful for being able to experience how the industry is to some degree. If I have any suggestions, they'd be to maybe changes the title of the course to something that reflects the industry aspect or maybe add in more relation to medical devices throughout (since a lot of what is covered here is true for pharmaceuticals as well). This is just my two cents. That being said, thank you for this interesting course and for a good semester!

Posted : 28/11/2016 9:11 am
 ial4
(@ial4)
Trusted Member

Through-out this course syllabus Dr.simon has showed us how a real medial device industry works. I had a real good learning experience . I also look forward for more of the other courses. With this project, now i have a idea in which field i need to follow. This was my first online course and it was worth it. For those who are looking for a job in medical device industry this course really helps.

Posted : 28/11/2016 5:23 pm
 neb2
(@neb2)
Eminent Member

I have to recognize that I expected this course to be the typical course in which you learn a great amount of theory and then you have to memorize it for the midterm and final. The fact that this course was not like I expected it to be, really impressed me. I enjoyed every single lecture and most important, I learned about how the real medical device industry works. Having this practical knowledge gave me an idea of what I could do as a Biomedical engineer since after the undergraduate I was kind of lost on what, where and how should I apply my knowledge in a real job. Thank you Dr. Simon for giving me an insight of what a real job would be like with the current project we are doing. The lectures that I enjoyed the most were: marketing, clinical research, quality and risk management. I will be looking forward to take advanced medical device development course next semester.

Posted : 28/11/2016 6:22 pm
 kdg4
(@kdg4)

This course has been very useful to show people what could really be expected of them when they get into the real world. It was good to see the different stages of developing a medical device, and what is expected in every step. Project management as a whole is something that can be useful to everyone even if they are specifically a project manager because you may need those tools when you are on the job. Having an understand of regulatory can also really useful during the development of a medical device or assay so that things may not be need to be changed as often. Overall, this course was able to provide some insight on areas that one may not always consider when creating a device and can hopefully lead to a better product.

Posted : 29/11/2016 6:05 am
(@chrisvasquez)
Trusted Member

As everyone above mentioned, this course really showed me how the medical device industry works, especially since I just started working within the medical device industry; this course proved to be a guide for me and a reference during work. Essentially, it provided me a basic framework to my ongoing real world experience.

Chris

Posted : 29/11/2016 8:26 am
(@jp582)
Trusted Member

Before taking this course, I had hard time figuring out what I could do as a biomedical engineers when I will be looking for industry based jobs. I have gained bit of knowledge now to know how industry works and what role I would be looking for and suit me best throughout this course. Dr simon’s lectures and guidelines were very helpful to me, and for those who are looking for medical device industrial jobs this is a worth taking course. I will be looking forward to take system management course next semester to learned project management techniques and methods.

Posted : 29/11/2016 8:46 am
 la82
(@la82)
Trusted Member

When I signed up for this course, I was expecting, as others have mentioned, more of a theory content about medical devices. When I looked at the syllabus and attended the first meeting, I was even more excited about the course, since it gave me a very detailed insight of how the industry works and I get to experience it through the project. I find the course material to be very detailed, interesting, and extremely helpful. It helped me assure my interest in clinical research. I would recommend this course to anyone thinking about medical devices as a career.

Posted : 29/11/2016 4:43 pm
(@jnm22)
Eminent Member

I thought this course was very useful as well and I am already working in industry. I liked that you showed us every division within medical devices and their importance. Honestly I wish I took it before I started working as my job search would of been different. Thank you for all the information!

Posted : 30/11/2016 12:06 am
(@asn9)
Trusted Member

Hi All,

I believe that this was a very interesting course. As others previously mentioned, I believed that it would be a course that would involve more about theory of medical devices. I found this course very useful, as I have been working in the drug development industry. Although the process is somewhat different, it was very useful in learning about medical devices and the process of development.

-Andrew Nashed

Posted : 30/11/2016 5:55 am
(@aowalker)

I thought this course did a good job of covering the key areas of the medical device industry, in additional to how people work within the industry. There are certainly areas within the fields that I now know is definitely not a fit for myself, such as pre-clinical and clinical. This course was just what I was needed, however, as someone else mentioned, the name should be different, or at a minimum I think the course description should changed.

Posted : 30/11/2016 6:04 am
 Josh
(@orleron)
Trusted Member Admin
Topic starter

That's an interesting comment which got my attention because it is different from some of the others. What other names or verbiage in the description would make it more accurate? Tell me more.

Spiral Medical Development
www.spiralmeddev.com

Posted : 30/11/2016 6:16 am
 tme3
(@tme3)
Eminent Member

This course has been very helpful in looking at some of the other areas of the medical device industry that I have not been exposed to. Not only that, but the interaction between other students with lab experience or work experience has helped in giving me different perspectives on certain issues.

Posted : 30/11/2016 6:56 am
(@hmp42)

I would like to share my personal experience.Last semester,I took System Management for Medical Device-online course from Dr.Simon.While as a graduate student when i went to give my first in person interview for a pharma company,i would have not blessed myself so much for taking this course.For half an hour interview,i would have been speechless if i have not studied system management course.I found both courses very informative and very essential for a person like me who is going to enter into industry.Thank you Dr.Simon for your expert guidance.

-Hetal

Posted : 30/11/2016 9:15 am
 fo3
(@fo3)

I feel like the only course in undergrad that introduced industry-related topics was capstone, since it involved working on a project from start to finish and all its deliverables. However, since this was just an intro course, it was very important for me that I took a course that further discussed these topics. I went into my first job still confused on the specifics of the product development process and design controls. I love that this course was able to guide me to a better understanding. In my opinion, the course can be improved and more challenging if groups were required to present this unique project idea to the class at multiple points throughout the semester, instead of just submitting a DHF at the end. I believe in the real world, a lot goes on after a document is submitted: reviews, comments, design changes, more research - So it would've been great to be able to simulate that more.

Posted : 30/11/2016 10:45 am
Page 1 / 10
Share: