Forum

Differences in team...

Notifications
Clear all

Differences in team dynamics and leadership styles between corporations and research labs

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@samiha-khan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Corporate teams might have separate roles and hierarchies, whereas research labs might have greater disciplinary collaboration and academic freedom. How does it influence the creativity and productivity?

Posted : 13/10/2024 5:50 pm
(@mirna-cheikhali)

You’ve got a good point about how corporate teams and research labs differ! In a corporate setting, having clear roles and hierarchies can really help with getting things done since everyone knows their responsibilities. But it can also stifle creativity because people might feel stuck in their boxes and less willing to think outside the box. On the flip side, research labs usually thrive on collaboration and academic freedom, which can lead to some awesome creative ideas as folks from different backgrounds share their thoughts. But that freedom can sometimes make things a little chaotic and slow down progress. So, both setups have their ups and downs, and it’s all about finding the right balance between structure and flexibility to keep creativity flowing while getting things done.

Posted : 13/10/2024 8:43 pm
(@bsk32)
Eminent Member

I agree that structure in corporations can lead to restrictions in their research goals. For example, corporations are meant to make money, and run by board members and Officers that might not be motivated by research, and only by making money. In a Sole Proprietorship, freedom is the highest for the owner, who might have a specific research or product goal, and the scientists and engineers at the bottom are doing research in a field dictated by the owner. In a research lab, there is a lot of freedom, but that sometimes comes with a high cost of money, and lack of financial accountability. There are pros and cons to both research labs and corporations, so it depends on the goal of a person's career, and their motivations.

Posted : 13/10/2024 9:31 pm
(@dk555)
Eminent Member

I think this is a great topic to dive deeper into! I have experience in both, working in a research lab during my undergraduate studies and the corporate lab space in my professional career. I absolutely agree that research labs have more academic freedom. When I joined the CIBM3 laboratory at NJIT, I was able to choose the kind of research that I wanted to conduct. I was able to choose between animal or cell studies based on my interests. Obviously each lab has its own concentration, but of course, you have the flexibility to choose the one that fits your personal interests. The corporate space is much more limited. Most companies have a specific product that they are invested in and that makes up the majority of their revenue. Because of this specific field of investment, it becomes challenging to pursue something that does not have the company's direct financial interest in mind. I will say there is a small loophole if you work in front-end development. Similar to the NIH Director's Transformative Research Award, established in 2009, which promotes cross-cutting, interdisciplinary approaches and is open to individuals and teams of investigators who propose unconventional research that could create or challenge existing paradigms (1), front-end development in companies (sometimes) allows for unconventional research that MAY end up providing a new revenue stream for the company. This comes with the risk of not finding anything and the project being completely scrapped unfortunately, but the option is there if you are extremely interested in risky research!

1.)High-Risk, High-Reward Research (HRHR) | NIH Common Fund. (n.d.). https://commonfund.nih.gov/highrisk#:~:text=The%20NIH%20Directo r's%20Transformative%20Research,create%20or%20challenge%20existing%20paradigms.

Posted : 13/10/2024 9:58 pm
(@gg382)
Estimable Member

In corporate teams, clear roles and hierarchies streamline productivity, but they can sometimes limit creativity by restricting how people think and collaborate. In contrast, research labs offer more academic freedom and interdisciplinary collaboration, which can fuel creativity but may slow productivity due to less structure. Both environments have their advantages: corporations prioritize efficiency and financial outcomes, while research labs foster innovation and exploration. Finding the right balance between structure and freedom is key to boosting both creativity and productivity in any setting.

Posted : 13/10/2024 10:15 pm
(@mglassen)
Eminent Member

While research labs may have more room for creativity and freedom, I believe there is some downside to this that corporations can avoid. In previous lectures, we have learned that oftentimes academics are free to take on as many projects as they want in whatever fields they are interested in, and that this often leads to a ton of these projects not being worked on or finished for years. In a corporate setting, projects not being completed costs money, and having everyone with a set responsibility and accountability can reduce creativity but it can also help ot make sure that things actually get done in a reasonable time frame.

Posted : 13/10/2024 10:43 pm
Share: