Forum

First Job: What typ...

Notifications
Clear all

First Job: What type of company to choose?

21 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@mmd55)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

For many graduates, finding a first job can be a daunting task. As with most industries, there are pro's and con's for each type of company (which is explored in depth in other threads). I'm interested in knowing people's experiences working in varying types of companies fresh out of school and the different career growth/opportunities in each. For example, start-ups are risky but can expose a green engineer to many different areas of the business, meanwhile established companies are more stable but often have engineers specialize in something. I was wondering if anyone can describe their experiences being a new engineer and their experiences in the type of company they work for ?

Posted : 05/10/2021 5:29 pm
(@tamanna)
Eminent Member

I personally think that a recent graduate can learn a lot if they start from a smaller company or even a company that is currently going through the growing phase. Having a little to no specialization in the very beginning of my career did help me gain a lot of experiences. I landed my first job at a private company and was working for the analytical chemistry department. However, I ended up helping the formulation, micro and packaging department as they needed extra help. Therefore, I learned how all the departments within the same company unitedly work towards product development and also learned many useful skills and techniques that helped me build my resume. With all types of diverse skills, I was getting offers from different types of companies starting from some type of chemist, biologist to startup business roles at smaller and bigger companies. I saw how this company started from the scratch to transition their labs into more controlled and regulated environment as I got an opportunity help them in this transition. Later, I accepted a job offer at a bigger company that is more stable and well regulated. It wasn't difficult for me to adapt there as I have learned what can go wrong and how to approached in order fix them at in my first job.

Posted : 09/10/2021 10:54 pm
(@cb447)
Trusted Member

I agree that finding a first job can be an extremely daunting task. It seem like our entire college experience is leading up to this one moment where we finally land our dream job. However, it is not always that easy to secure a job right after college. That being said - the advice I would give to any new engineer is to apply to as many jobs as possible and not be afraid to embrace change. When I graduated college, I landed a job at a small biopharmaceutical company. While I was exposed to many different aspects of the business at this company, I did not have that many career growth opportunities. I felt like these opportunities were limited because there were not as many of them since the company was small. In my current role, I work at a bigger company doing something completely different than what I did at my first job. At this bigger company, I am exposed to many more career growth opportunities than I was at the smaller company. However either way, I think a recent graduate can learn a lot from their first job whether it be at a smaller company or a larger company. If it is possible I would recommend for a new engineer to gain experience at both types of companies so that they are exposed to many different opportunities and learning experiences. This can help build their resume and diversity in the field. 

Posted : 10/10/2021 2:17 pm
(@ps689)
Eminent Member

Since graduating undergrad, I have only worked for a small start-up biotech company so I cannot speak on what it is like to work for a big, established company. From personal experience however, a start up certainly allows me to be exposed to the different processes/departments involved in getting a medical device to market. Although my job is in the R&D Formulation department, I found myself getting involved/being exposed to manufacturing processes, preclinical projects, etc. Additionally, because a small start-up does not necessarily have the resources and funds that giant companies have, we are oftentimes forced to come up with more creative solutions to the problems at hand and work with the limited resources that we do have. Though I would someday like the opportunity to work for a big company, I do not regret my decision to be a part of a small start-up and I think that it is a good learning experience for anyone new to the industry.

Posted : 10/10/2021 6:48 pm
(@hjp39)
Trusted Member

First job that I have had after finishing my undergrad was at Stryker (big corporation) and it was a great learning experience as they had all the resources and correct personal to train and guide me. However I think after gaining a certain amount of experience at a big corporation at Stryker its important to go to a smaller company and apply that experience to further enhance your career. I am currently at Zimmer Biomet, have the ability to be involved in various different projects with various departments instead of just sticking to your assigned department. 

Posted : 10/10/2021 11:01 pm
(@reginabarias)
Trusted Member

Getting the best fit job after graduating is difficult because you as a student do not know what is best for you in a work environment. It is also extremely stressful because once you do a demanding process, and get hired, then feel as you do not belong, sometimes you may have to stay at a corporation longer than you’d like which could bee mentally stressful.

I have not have any experience with a startup but as a graduate i would rather worked at a start up. There’s a lot of things that you learn on the start up that you wouldn’t normally learn at a company in regards to business, taxes, paperwork, and furthermore you can do more quality control rather than just being a cog in the system. Additionally, if you are successful you would have a much higher salary than working at any big company. However, it can be very overwhelming to do it all by yourself. It would be best to have a group to share the load. Depending on what kind of company you choose you could be held personally liable if the company tanks and have your assets taken as collateral. It is also difficult to compete with already established names. Many businesses fail every year. Meanwhile the pay may be lower working under some one you don’t have to worry about profit margins, expenses, paying employees etc. you also wouldn’t be held liable if the company tanks. Good companies also offer benefits for working for them as well such as health insurance. Meanwhile if you’re a business owner that would just another thing to worry about for yourself

Posted : 10/10/2021 11:30 pm
(@nuran-kavakli)
Eminent Member

During my last year of college, I was an intern for TUBITAK, the Scientific and Technological research council of Turkey. Although I wasn’t a graduate, being an intern for a prestigious company had many benefits. I could even say it was perfect.  The engineers were not only the best in their fields but were also great mentors. TUBITAK is a government council, so the employees are based on quality, not quantity. From researchers to engineers to analysts, everyone knows their end goal and works toward that. In regard to my major, I designed an acoustic prob holder using Solidworks. This was a major accomplishment, considering I was only an intern. Overall, working for a company that was government-owned and goal-oriented left me with great qualities both as a peer and an engineer.

Thanks! 

Posted : 27/10/2021 12:20 am
(@wmckennedymsm-edu)
Eminent Member

Graduating from college and trying to find a job isn’t the easiest task, but it is rewarding once complete. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do for work upon graduating, but I knew I wanted a job that provided great benefits, flexibility, and a job that utilized my biology degree. When applying for jobs, it’s important to know exactly what you want to do, know your salary expectations and the salary range for the job you want, ask a lot of questions about the position, and what is expected from you as an employee. I do wish I would have attended career fairs to learn more about companies at once, and have reading material to review to make an informed decision. I feel that it is important to choose a company you can grow and develop with and not just stay in the same position for years. Lastly, working for a company that provides competitive benefits along with a 401(k) is very important.

Posted : 19/07/2022 4:24 pm
(@tvkp4817)
Eminent Member

After graduating with my degree in Chemistry, I continued working in fast food until I found something in my field.   That was a humbling experience & made me work hard to find something else.  Through the advice of a classmate/friend, I used a headhunter to help me land my first job.  I started as a temporary employee with a low hourly rate and no benefits.  After 6 months, the chemical manufacturer I was working for offered me a full-time position. 

Since then, technology has vastly improved; the internet was just starting when I graduated from college.  New grads can rely not only on word of mouth but also apps like Linkedin and Indeed that are great resources to get that first job.  Once the interview has been offered, researching the company and the position are important.  Ask questions during the interview process as they are also trying to impress you just as much as you them.  Know what your salary expectations are and when asked be sure to toss the question back to the interviewer to see what their range is.  That way, you know what you are willing to accept before letting them know.  Ask them to share info on the benefits they will offer.  Also, once an job offer has been rendered, its ok to negotiate that starting salary but be realistic in your negotiations.  

Posted : 19/07/2022 6:02 pm
(@kamarian)

@tvkp4817 I really appreciate your angle and honesty on experience in the job market and how straight out of college upon graduation you worked for a small company before and you learned a lot of skills and lessons within that company and I think its valuable to have these experiences because you can build up your confidence level and expertise by starting small and working your way up in the company. I thought about working for a big company when I graduate and get out of school, but after reading from your statement I think I want to start working in a small company and work my way up to a larger company eventually.

Posted : 19/07/2022 11:13 pm
(@aaronaba)

Hey, I recently graduated with my Bachelors in Biology and within that month put out some applications. I came across a position in the lab at a start-up company that specialized and COVID but were looking to expand their panels and needed more technicians. I discovered this position through a relative. More on the position itself; It's a biotechnology start-up that results COVID samples, UTI, STI, Fungal, RPP (respiratory), with toxicology, cannabis, and phlebotomy incoming. As you said there is a lot of cross training, cross-talk, and double dipping within startup companies. I don't perceive this as a hinderance though. Working in the lab while being in communication with programmers, vaccine couriers, sales reps, and engaged laboratory staff fosters the employees with a sense of community. It's interesting to watch a company expand and build from the ground up. If you ever have the opportunity to be a part of a growing industry under management that has the company and employees best interest in mind, I would recommend trying your hand at it. While established companies are certainly more stable and structured, there is a lot of opportunity to learn and explore within a start-up.

Posted : 20/07/2022 1:11 pm
(@cmdumasmsm-edu)

As a recent graduate myself, the hunt for a job within my field of expertise has been quite rough. The biggest challenge I am often faced with is my lack of experience in comparison to other job applicants. I have also realized that with the application to serious roles, age can be a deciding factor as well. I would suggest that when deciding on a first time position to remain optimistic, connect with the recruiters in your field, and focus on applying to a substantial amount of related jobs. 

Posted : 20/07/2022 11:23 pm
(@cmdumasmsm-edu)

@aaronaba I'm happy to hear that you found a position in your field of study! About how long did it take to get into the company and did you have any prior experience with working in labs? I would like to transition into lab work as a grad student in biotechnology, But I never received any lab experience during undergrad. How would you suggest going about doing so?

Posted : 20/07/2022 11:27 pm
(@andrew684)
Eminent Member

In the company I worked for, they weren't a very big company and were rather small, so I was boxed into one particular field while working there. My position had to do with different parts of manufacturing, such as planned manufacturing, maintenance, and shipping and receiving. The company didn't hold me to one particular thing; each day I was learning about different departments and, at some point, learning to do things without guidance. Being thrown blind into anything is the best experience because it helped me to think on my feet, and I was able to apply this to other areas. This entirely differed compared to another company I worked for, where it was more established and had more of a corporate feel to it. I was primarily in the R&D department, where most of the time I was provided instructions on what to do and how to do it. Also, the fact that I was in one department as opposed to the other position, where I was in different departments every day, exposed me to different responsibilities. Working for a smaller company, I learned many companies have individuals wear many hats in order to expose them to more skills compared to a bigger company where roles and functions are more defined. While even applying to start-up companies, many recruiters would mention that there were going to be many hats to wear, which complimented the role I was constantly exposed to. Each company had different environments and had their own ways to accomplish tasks.

Posted : 08/10/2023 6:09 pm
(@atk27njit-edu)
Trusted Member

I work at a medium-sized medical device manufacturing corporation company and I believe that you will definity gain more experience and learn more working at a smaller company than compared to a larger public corporation. I've had conversation with people who work in large medical device companies and as an engineer, you have a more structured work as assigned by your manager but when you work at a smaller company, you're wearing a lot of different hats that leads to a more diverse set of skills. For instance, I have had experience in engineering and testing for new product developments but also other valuable skills such as running laser machines, using tool machines such as a mill and lathe, different types of welding, and quality process of using different inspection machines. Knowing the entire process of how different tools work makes you a more adaptable and versatile engineer that will think about the factors that go into designing something. So, you would wasting less time and resources thinking about it after-hand where the unanticipated problem shows up. Having hands-on experience on using various tools can also inspire more creative and innovative solutions when designing something as well. So what I'd say is leverage all the advantage you have working with different departments within the company to get a diverse skill set than can open up a wide range of career opportunities. 

Posted : 08/10/2023 7:36 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: