How to initiate project successfully

17 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@jp582)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Everyone,

It is critical to know which steps can be taken to successfully go through project initiating phase as quickly and efficiently as possible. To be a good project manager, you should know how to initiate projects successfully, get sponsorship support, conduct a feasibility study, cooperate, communicate and share important information with team and stakeholders. There are few steps that I want to share how to initiate a project successfully.

Make a business case- outlines the risks or opportunities and come up with alternative solutions for problems. At this stage, one should know the reason behind starting the project, key benefits and cost required for the project. It is important to know that business case is to be developed and approved by the sponsor before submitting the solution not by project manager.
Conduct a feasibility study- document the requirements for a solution, research factors that influence the projects feasibility, investigate alternative solution, assess risk and issues with each solution and develop a feasibility report and document results to initiate projects.
Develop the project charter- at this phase, project manager sets the time duration and decides which activities and tasks the project actually starts. It gives a clear vision to the stakeholders and shows what objectives, scopes, and deliverables are to be achieved within the project.
Assign the team- Tasks and activities are assigned by the project manager based on team members’ qualification. Project manager also assigned the team leaders responsibility for making team assignments, fulfill team requirements, making sure project progress and deliverable and report documents to the project manager.
Review the project-to ensure that all of the requirements has been fulfilled in order to be proceed to the next planning phase.

Kindly Share your opinion or experience??

Posted : 01/02/2017 1:46 pm
(@akshay-sakariya)
Eminent Member

There is 4 basic phase in every project and every phase of every project. Those are Initiation, planning, execution, and closing.
Initiation: when you starting a project of even before you assemble the team. You got to get the business case together in the feasibility study. You are taking to the board to try and convince them that this actual project is going to have sufficient return on investment to invest in dollars.
Planning: After the board approve your business case and an award your level of funding. You then go into a little bit more detailed planning. In the planning phase you are doing a thing like your typical schedule, resource plan, budget and cash flow plan for the project. Also, try to gather a team( right people for the project).
Execution: once you did with planning then you can begin with execution. In this phase, you are doing a lot of activates of the project and as a project manager, you actually implementing quite a lot of controlling process. Basically, you are doing risk management, issue management, change control management and communication management etc..
Closing: In this phase, you short of packaging up those deliverables.

Posted : 01/02/2017 2:52 pm
(@talha-chaudhry)
Eminent Member

From my experience, the initiation process can be divided into 4 phases for project management:

Objectives: The first phase involves creating an objective(s). This is where you determine what information you need about from the project so that they can justify the project. Objectives are essentially the outcomes businesses wish to obtain from completing projects as they are the outset goals.
Determining the Approach: The next step is to determine the approach to bring the project to fruition. This involves a preliminary list of tasks and methods required for the project. This also involved determining the steps in conducting research and gathering background information for aspects such as marketing, demographics, etc.
Scheduling and Budgeting: This phase involves setting up a reasonable time frame to complete the tasks given and propose deadlines. This would be a part of a budget proposal detailing the resources required to complete this project. Resources can range from equipment, personnel, databases, and liquid assets.
Delegating the Work: The final phase in the initiation process involves delegating the work flow among team members. Roles must be clearly defined so the project can remain on schedule.

References: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/initiating-process-project-management-36001.html

Posted : 01/02/2017 6:00 pm
(@myton)
Trusted Member

In any project, I believe that there are 5 stages that are necessary in starting the development of a project.
1. Finding the “market gap”: This is the first stage and this is when the idea is evaluated on whether it is valid to even begin the project. This stage is used to determine the required components of the project in order for it to become effective. During this phase, you also have to determine if there are other projects that are similar to the current projects in order to avoid conflict.
2. Design: This stage of product development goes over the idea, solidifying it and making sure that it is in its best version that it can be in the beginning stages. Also, one has to make sure that the required market gap characteristics are factored in within the design of the project.
3. Resource Allotment: This is when schedules, budgets, and procurements are made. During this stage, orders from vendors are filed in order to see when they will arrive and depending on those times, a schedule is made. During the schedule phase, milestones are created as well as tests in order to ensure that the project is on track to its finishing.
4. Execution: In this stage, the building and initialization of the project begins. Each member of the committee has his/her responsibility which he/she is assigned to complete based on the schedule. In this stage, the raw materials and other resources are combined in order to build the project. This stage also factors in the evaluation of the design and modifications are made to improve the overall assembly of the project.
5. Presentation: For some projects, this stage is composed of packing the finished product and selling it. To some projects, such as an event, this is a day when the finished product is showcased.

Posted : 05/02/2017 1:46 pm
 tn58
(@tn58)
Trusted Member

My opinion applies to the business case especially coming from a family who owns and runs a business. A good project manager can run a business case based on his analytical skills and critical thinking. Before even getting to the paper work of a device, drug or any idea basically in the industry or outside, you survey the market and analyze your project idea to what is already on the market. In my opinion and experience, this is the most over looked part for start up companies in the medical industry. Many fail to exceed to compete with top companies because of this lack of knowledge and analyses on the market. This is where all the marketing, research, etc comes in. Once you survey the market, you assign team members. Keeping in mind, that just because you are motivated by an idea does not mean everyone else will put in the effort. So in my personal experience, before assigning anyone a task or placing them in your team, have a general conversation to see where that person's interests lie. This skills and communication are essential for any start up company and ANY good project manager. If you simply just select people based on their background without having any clue to how motivated they will be for this project means you will increase your chances of doing revisions further down the line. This is simply my opinion on what is required before starting any project and selecting teams. A good project manager should have his own analysis before asking the experts to see how well he understands the project himself.

Posted : 05/02/2017 5:50 pm
(@sy335)
Eminent Member

For any project to be launched successfully and get a sponsorship, it should follow the following six steps:

Step 1: Create a detailed business case for everyone to know what the exact the business requirements are. It will be the foundation of the project.
Step 2: Do a Feasibility Study to determine the solutions for the business requirement.
Step 3: Create the Project Charter composed of information from the business case and feasibility study
describing the new project and its vision, objectives, scope,project team and implementation plan.
Step 4: Define your Project Team by assigning the project manager who has the responsibility of recruiting the project team.
Step 5: Setting Up a Project Office where the project will be managed. It must provide all the premises, tools, material and equipment for the team members.
Step 6: Review the Initiation Phase. After everything is in place, it is necessary to review this phase to ensure nothing was missed to get the approval from all stakeholders.
After the initiation phase is complete and you can move on to the next phase i.e the Planning phase of the project.

Posted : 05/02/2017 6:58 pm
(@rgp29)
Trusted Member

Hello jp582, I agree with the stages that you mentioned. I think it is key that are done the way they are supposed to be. However I think that these steps can compressed to planning, executing and sometimes presenting. The first step in planning would be targeting a market/customer. I have seen some amazing products developed which have not generated as much profit because they were in the wrong market. Whenever you plan a project you need to be as detailed as possible. Creating a very specific plan would make the execution phase easier. In my first project, I was not as specific in the planning phase and that brought a lot of complications during the execution phase. Lastly, as our classmate Myton mentioned in his post, some products require a presentation. Let’s say you want to sell a product do an investment company, if you don’t have a solid presentation, you could have the best product ever but you will not get the funds needed.

Sincerely,
Roberto Pineda.

Posted : 07/02/2017 6:50 pm
 bnb6
(@bnb6)
Eminent Member

I would first like to say I agree with all of the previous posts regarding the steps of the project initiation phase and I would like to add some of my feedback based off my internship experience. I believe the most successful projects come from a team of individuals who can be seen as the "subject matter experts." Ideally, at least one person will have substantial knowledge going into the project, and the team does not all need to be handed a project and problem with no prior relevant experience. In orthopaedics, every single design feature has substantial reasoning behind it, and when others do not understand these reasons and try to come up with a new design, they will face a lot of problems.

Posted : 27/01/2018 4:29 pm
(@srg36)
Estimable Member

In addition to the points mentioned above, from my experience a very critical step in the project initiation phase is to lock down the scope of the project. In my company I believe that one of our biggest struggles is scope creep. We just proceed with a project with a general idea of what is going to be in scope of the project, and often allow the scope to be increased later on in the project without doing a complete assessment of the impact on the project, leading to project delays. Therefore, I believe that locking down the scope as early as possible is very important. I understand that there may be a need to expand the scope at a later point. However, there should be a rigorous process to assess the impact to the business case and compare that to the impact to the project if you keep the scope the same or change the scope, and then make an informed decision based on this assessment.

Posted : 27/01/2018 4:40 pm
(@anmolkaur)
Eminent Member

The most important thing to start a project is that it does not include beginning work on making any of the 'product' of the project. It is concerned solely with clarifying the project's objectives and what will be expected to accomplish them. You may not know precisely what the project is going to do but you should have a clear thought with the goal that you can report what it could do in a way that can fill in as a reason for discussion. Also, collective basic leadership is an essential area of project administration that can make or break this part of the project.

Posted : 28/01/2018 2:30 pm
(@ap962)
Eminent Member

According to me, the first, and most critical, step to initiate a project is defining the extent of the project. What is it you should achieve or make? What is the task objective? Similarly important is defining what is excluded in the scope of your project. On the off chance that you don't get enough definition from your supervisor, illuminate the scope yourself and send it back upstairs for confirmation. You don't need to be a formal project manager to lead a project initiative. However, you should apply the tools and logic of project administration to the work of clarifying your objectives, detailing the work, assembling a team, and executing and checking the work.

Posted : 11/02/2018 2:56 pm
(@moniquet07)
Eminent Member

When initiating a project, I believe there a four steps:
1: Market Gap/Market Demand: Researching the purpose of the project and why it would be vital to consumers. During this research, it is important to look for any similar projects that would be considered competition but don't entirely meet customer needs.
2. Develop Roles: within the project team, develop roles and responsibilities for each member such as project manager, sponsors, etc.
3. Develop a plan: create a detailed plan, budget, and timeline for the project execution.
4. Review plan: review and approve the project plan which leads to final execution

Posted : 11/02/2018 9:45 pm
 ial4
(@ial4)
Trusted Member

Hello ,
As the discussion about mentioned about a project is initiating ,but it is really important to understand responsibility of each members in the project in order to run a successful Project
During the buildup phase, each member in the group should understand there role in your project. I would like to mention it below.
Project Manger :- Identify needed resources,recruit effective participants. coordinate activities,negotiate with higher-level management,especially the sponsor,mediate conflicts,set milestones, Manage the budget
Project team leader :- Regularly communicate progress and problems to the project manger,Periodically assess team progress and team members' outlook, Make sure that everyone contributes and that everyone's voice is heard, A good team leader should be a good Coach.
Project team members:- Complete all assigned task on time, communicate concerns and dis-satisfactions to you and other members of the team, Support you and other members, Help others and ask for help when they need it.

Posted : 16/02/2018 9:00 am
 ec52
(@ec52)
Trusted Member

The beginning of a project can be the calm before the storm or an insane rush to get things sorted and ready for the main project team work to start. As per PMBOK, the project is composed of five process groups/ phases: initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing. The beginning of a project is critical for its future success. From estimations and scope, to defining requirements, assignment of resources, etc., there too many tasks out there that can shape how the project will develop. In my opinion, the market survey is critical for the project start. In order for a project to exist, it requires a “need”. Typically, it is a need from the market and the marketing department is the one surveying the market to assess gaps and build a business case for stakeholders to sponsor a project. Clearly defining market needs are critical for initiating a project successfully.

Posted : 03/02/2019 6:53 am
 Sk90
(@sanam)
Estimable Member

The different stages of project includes initiation, planning ,execution ,managing and control , closing. In the initiation phase of a project ,the project meeting are quite important which states the roles and responsibilities of individual working on the project it is important to bring all team member on same platform of understanding because everyone have different perception about the project. Furthermore, If a project team gets consistent with senior level support they can get resources need to complete the project. there are several risk that should be taken into consideration like risk related to schedule, new vendor or new technology, deadlines, budget, stakeholder. Understanding the company expectation at early stage of project will save a lot of time. The initiation should include the proper scope means what you are doing, how you are doing it and what are the outcomes ,resulting in investments and sponsorship required to ensure the success of a project. The market needs should be defined like who will use the product ,how will the people interact with product, how the other product will interface with your product.

Posted : 10/02/2019 10:46 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: