Notifications
Clear all

Accepting job based on company.

116 Posts
113 Users
1 Reactions
(@mbonds)
Eminent Member

I personally think that early on in your career (for example recent graduates) you have the option to be more open to working anywhere that will give you an exponential amount of experience that will eventually take you extremely far in your career field. Regardless, it is still extremely important to do your basic research on the the things you mentions: financials, stocks, customer/employee reviews, rankings, etc. It is also so important to know your worth and value toward this company. Is there something you want to change within this company? Is the company to structured to the point where there is rarely any change? These are questions I ask myself when looking at new opportunities as well. Finding better employment elsewhere cannot be assured by the name (alone) of the company where you currently work. At the very least, though, the reputation of the business for which you work can be linked to the values it instills in its personnel. 

Posted : 22/03/2023 9:49 pm
(@gsanniezmsm-edu)
Eminent Member

As I plan on beginning a career in genetic medicine, I would be looking for a company that aligns with my immediate interest. That being compensation, work experience, and work culture. At this point my main goal is rack up experience, so I the company I initially work does not have to have as many resources as larger Fortune 500 companies has access too. However, later in my career I will be looking for a position that grants me access to senior level employment, and benefits to support myself and my family in the later years of my life.  

Posted : 24/03/2023 11:32 am
(@rbetz)
Eminent Member

I don't think the type of company I want to work for depends on if it is an LLC or a C-Corp or a partnership.  As long as I am getting paid, I am going to be submitting my W2 at the end of the year and getting taxed on the money no matter what.  Now if I wanted to open my own company I would definitely care what kind I would do.  I would want to be a S-corp. I like that its not double taxed.

This post was modified 1 year ago by rbetz

Posted : 24/03/2023 11:50 pm
(@astone46)

I don't think that I would turn down a job based on the type of company it identifies as. As long as the job meets my requirements when it comes to benefits, pay, culture, and growth potential, I am open to learning how to navigate the environment. The company that I currently am employed by is a start-up company however a more developed start-up and has interesting policies. Watching the company go from public to private to merging with one of its largest competitors was more emotionally draining than anything. 

Posted : 25/03/2023 9:43 pm
(@jennifer-sackitey)
Eminent Member

This is a very good question with many interesting perspectives being posted. For me, I usually would not apply to a company if I were not okay with they type of organization. I consider all aspects before deciding to join. However, I will soon be a recent graduate school graduate and the current job market for certain STEM fields has been quite volatile. As the current economic landscape is now, I believe I would take a position at a more established, reputable, and financially stable company than a start-up. That being said, if I were afforded the luxury of financial independence, I would most likely choose a start up that offered stock options as it is a place that could foster growth and its success would be more meaningful as I would have been directly involved in said accomplishment. 

Posted : 23/04/2023 3:46 am
(@qrichburgmsm-edu)

This is the most difficult aspect of the conversation but also the most important. There are myriad reasons a job won’t be a perfect fit and many of them are perfectly plausible and valid. Others may be harder to justify or voice. Even if your rationale strays from the politically correct or socially acceptable, 99% of the time you can communicate even the most delicate of reasons in a professional and tactful way.

Posted : 23/04/2023 7:58 pm
(@mme54)
Trusted Member

I would decline a job offer from a company with a bad reputation, particularly if it had a history of bankruptcy or was involved in the downfall of another company, similar to what happened with Toshiba. On the other hand, I'd be inclined to join a company that has a strong and stable business track record or is globally recognized, such as Johnson & Johnson.

However, it's not always straightforward to turn down a job offer, especially for new graduates like myself who are eager to gain internships or co-op positions to acquire more experience. In such cases, the specific company might not matter as much as the opportunity to gain valuable experience. Nonetheless, this doesn't negate the importance of considering whether there are any questionable business practices associated with the position. If there are ethical or shady business practices involved, I would still seriously contemplate declining the position.

Posted : 10/10/2023 7:41 pm
 jj52
(@jj52)
Estimable Member

This is a great topic and I'm sort of embarrassed to say I really don't do research on the companies I apply to, I focus more on my role at the company and if I am capable of the tasks that are expected of me. From experience, after receiving my bachelors I struggled to land a job for about 6 months. In the beginning of my job search I had a lot of stipulations that I wanted to stick by but towards the end of my journey I was just happy with an interview. I personally would not turn down a job based on its company type because experience can always help you secure a better job along the way.

Posted : 12/10/2023 9:00 pm
(@31450849)
Trusted Member

I believe that the response to this question relies on the level of experience and years of employment a person may have. By this, I mean that a recent graduate can consent to begin working for any kind of business in order to get experience. While someone with greater experience can have higher expectations of a company and so refuse to work for any of them. The treatment of employees inside an organization and the benefits they receive, such as stock grants and bonuses, are some elements that affect the decision to work for a particular company. It would also be a good idea to examine some of the company's financial records, including any possible balance sheets. This information can help determine whether they are fair in paying their employees.

Posted : 13/10/2023 8:13 pm
 an83
(@an83)
Eminent Member

After delving into the intricacies of various company types from this week's lecture, I've come to realize the importance of the organizational structure in influencing my decision to accept a job offer. While many prioritize researching a company's financial health, reputation, and growth trajectory before applying, the type of company also plays a pivotal role in shaping the work environment and one's role within it. Personally, I would be hesitant to work for a sole proprietorship. My reservations stem from the fact that in such a setup, decision-making is often centralized to a single individual. This could potentially limit diverse perspectives and objectivity in crucial company decisions. Moreover, working closely under a sole source might not provide the breadth of experiences and mentorship opportunities that a more diversified leadership structure might offer. Additionally, while partnerships or certain LLC structures might offer employees an ownership stake, I would be wary of such an arrangement if I felt I had limited experience up to that point. Being an owner brings with it not just potential rewards, but also liabilities and responsibilities that I might not be prepared for early in my career. In essence, while the financial stability and reputation of a company are undeniably important, the type of company and the inherent dynamics of its structure would significantly influence my decision to join or decline an offer.

Posted : 15/10/2023 7:18 pm
(@shahil)
Trusted Member

To be honest, I would prefer to work for a larger company than a smaller company. You need to think about stability. How many startups go under? How many job scams are there? There is just too much risk, you know. It is better to just join a large company. However, you will often learn a lot more in smaller companies. So, I guess it just depends on what exactly you want, in your current situation. 

Posted : 15/10/2023 8:38 pm
Page 8 / 8
Share: